CROATIA & SLOVENIA
CROATIA & SLOVENIA
Our comprehensive 14-day private tour highlights the fascinating culture, breath-taking land (and sea!) scape and exquisite cuisine of Croatia and Slovenia.
This incredible journey starts in Zagreb, the capital city of Croatia. Next head to the spectacular Plitvice Lakes National Park and its endless cascades. Then, spend the next three nights in Rovinj, a picturesque fishing town on the Istrian peninsula. Finally, cross the border into Slovenia, starting in the Goriška Brda wine region. Then head into the beautiful Lake Bled (via the scenic Julian Alps). Your last stop will be Ljubljana, Slovenia’s charming capital. There will also be plenty of wonderful excursions along the way
ZAGREB – 3 NIGHTS
Welcome to Croatia! The first stop on your Croatian Family Adventure will be the country’s capital, Zagreb. A private transfer will greet you at the airport and take you to your gorgeous accommodations in the city center. We will leave the first evening free to recharge your batteries before starting your amazing adventure ahead. The next day, enjoy the following excursion:
- Your private guide will take you on this Personalized Walking tour of Zagreb including the most important cultural, historical architectural sites. Start at Governor Jelačić Square, or simply The Square, the main square in Zagreb. Them, head to the Upper town known as Gradec and Kaptol. These two medieval settlements are where the city of Zagreb grew from. Here you will also visit the Cathedral, the Dolac open market, and several charming cobblestoned streets lined with shops and cafes. Next, you will take a short ride on a funicular to Ilica Street. There will be time for a cup of coffee/tea is part while learning even more about Zagreb and Croatia.
- Enjoy a day trip to picturesque Zagorje, a hilly region filled with medieval and Renaissance fortresses, Baroque castles. Here you will find the most famous of all Zagorje castles, Trakoščan. You will enjoy a short tour of the castle, including its incredible weapons collection, its exquisite music salon, and gorgeous architecture. Afterward, head to a local tavern for a delicious lunch of regional specialties and sample local wines. Time permitting, you will also visit Kumrovec, a folk village of traditional architecture.
PLITVICE NATIONAL PARK – 1 NIGHT
The next stop on your Croatia & Slovenia Discovery tour is the magical world of the Plitvice National Park. Designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the park is an absolute must for any traveler to Croatia. Made up of 16 terraced lakes over a total area of 114 square miles, the water appears to be emerald green just like the forest that surrounds it. But the real attractions are the gorgeous cascading waterfalls that plunge over the terraces in seemingly every corner of Plitvice. During your time here, you can enjoy some lovely hiking routes within the park that follow along wooden boardwalks. You can also do some zip-lining across some beautiful landscape! That evening you will stay in unique luxury accommodation in the heart of the park.
ISTRIA – 3 NIGHTS
You’ll privately transfer about three hours northwest to the coast on the Istrian Peninsula. Often called the “Tuscany of Croatia”, the landscape is spectacular. En-route, you will enjoy a seaside lunch in Opatija, a lovely 19th-century dotted with Habsburg-era villas.
Then, it’s off to your special accommodations for the next 3 nights. There will be a few choices here from a wonderful wine hotel amidst the vineyards or a seaside resort in one of our favorite villages. During your stay in Istria, you will enjoy the following special experiences:
- A Truffle Hunting, Olive Oil, and a Fisherman’s Village. Known best as the truffle region, Istria is a fine mélange of picture-perfect landscape and exquisite gastronomy. Your exploration starts in the village of Livade, where you will learn about harvesting truffles in a private truffle hunting demonstration with a hunter and his sniffer dog. Unknown to the world’s stage of luxury gastronomy until recently, the Istrian white truffle is a real delicacy for true connoisseurs. Then, in the nearby Brtonigla village, stop for an olive oil tasting and a light snack of truffle products. In Roman times when the empire spanned an impressive amount of the world, the most sought-after olive oils were the ones from Istria. Then head to the Adriatic coast and the picturesque town of Rovinj. Once a fishermen’s village, it now offers warm Mediterranean settings to its visitors. Wander around the winding cobblestone streets and delightful passages the symbols of the most “photogenic town in Adriatic”. If staying in Rovinj, we will replace this with a winery tour & tasting lunch at one of our favorite producers in Croatia!
- You will also have the option of a private full-day tour of Brijuni islands and Pula, gems of the Istria south coast. Known as “the pieces of heaven”, Brijuni served as the exclusive beach resort for the aristocrats and the personal summer residence of the Yugoslav president Tito. Enjoy a private tour by golf cart around its archaeological, natural, and historical sites. After taking the boat back to the mainland, head to the historic town of Pula. On the edge of empires for over 3000 years, this vibrant Roman outpost boasts with rich cultural heritage. The majestic 1st century AD Roman amphitheater is absolutely majestic!
Goriška Brda Wine Region – 2 NIGHTS
On the border with Italy lies The Goriška Brda Wine Region. Its fertile land is sprawling with vineyards and fruit orchards, traditional farmhouses, and hilltop towns. During your private transfer, you will enjoy a stop on the Slovene Riviera in the resort of Portoroz for lunch. Then, in the late afternoon, you will arrive at your luxurious accommodations in a castle overlooking the vineyards for 2 nights.
During your stay in the area, we will arrange for the following special experiences:
- Enjoy a day of a Privately guided tour of the Wineries and Medieval villages of Goriška Brda. Start with a stop on the highest hill in the region, Sabotin. You will awe at the views of the Adriatic Sea and up to the Julian Alps, the charming villages and vineyards between and then the Soča river below. Then, it’s off to visit a small but renowned, family-owned winery. Here, you will have the opportunity to learn about their forward-thinking wine-producing process. You’ll taste a number of their vintage wines accompanied by local cheese and olive oil. Afterward, you will enjoy a walk through the village of Smartno. This beautiful, small hamlet is a living cultural heritage monument that looks out onto endless vineyards that cover all of Brda. Once a fortification on the Venetian-Austrian border, the village dates back to Roman time. Of course, there will be time for lunch in between all your fun visits of the day.
- On your last evening, relish in a Private Slovenian wine degustation followed by a gourmet dinner at the amazing 18th-century Gredic Castle overlooking a panorama of Brda. This award-winning restaurant serves notable dishes mixing the influences of both the nearby sea and mountains.
LAKE BLED – 2 NIGHTS
Saying goodbye to wine country, your journey will continue on to breathtaking Lake Bled. Set on the edge of the Triglav National Park with the Julien Apls as a backdrop, it was nominated one of the seven new wonders of the world. There is also an amazing castle on the cliff offering stunning views of the region. Located on an island in the middle of the lake, it can be visited with traditional boat called “pletna”.
But before arriving at the lake, there are some fantastic treats to enjoy along the way! Your first stop will be Predjama, the amazing Renaissance fortress built within a cave. Then, visit the spectacular Postojna cave, the only cave in the world with a train in it! Afterward, continue to the Julian Alps region for lunch and time to explore the beautiful surrounding nature. In the late afternoon/early evening, you will finally arrive at your elegant accommodations right on the lake’s edge. During your stay on Lake Bled, we will arrange for the following amazing excursion:
- Walking and Boating on Bohinj Lake. In the heart of the Julian Alps and in Triglav National Park lies Slovenia’s largest lake. Here you will enjoy a walk around the lake’s shores and a boat trip on its waters before taking a cable car to Vogel panoramic plateau. The upper Vogel cable car station, located at 1,535 meters (5,036 feet), greets visitors with spectacular panoramic views of Komna, the Triglav mountains, and all the way to the Kamnik and Savinja Alps.
Ljubljana – 2 NIGHTS
The last stop on your Croatia & Slovenia tour is the pretty capital of Ljubljana. This little city has a wonderful old town that lies along a river overlooked by a charming castle. You will have several wonderful choices for upscale accommodations right in the heart of the city and within easy walking distance of famous landmarks as well as fantastic restaurants. During your stay in Ljubljana, you will enjoy the following social experience:
- Ljubljana Private Walking Tour. With private guide, explore a city full of charm,classic architecture, beautiful bridges, friendly locals and great food and wine. The architecture of Ljubljana is strongly influenced by the former Austro-Hungarian Empire and its beauty is everipresent. Some of the famous sights you will visit include the Magistrat (Town Hall), the Baroque town mansion, the 18th-century cathedral, the Shoemaker Bridge and the Jewish quarter. After some time for lunch, take a funicular ride up to the city’s most prominent landmark, Ljubljana Castle. This lovely castle a rich and dynamic history of the city. You’ll visit the Outlook Tower, the castle’s prison, an exhibition on Slovenian History and see an early 19th century well. Don’t forget your camera as the castle commands magnificent panoramic views of the area!
When it is time to say goodbye to Dubrovnik, we will arrange a private transfer to the airport.
If you are not yet ready to go home, we can add several options to your Croatia & Slovenia Discovery tour. A few days on the up and coming (and very beautiful) Montenegro coast? Or a visit to a few of the more than 1000 islands to explore in Croatia (such as Hvar or Korcula?) Or even add Slovenia to the first part of your trip? The choice is yours and we would be happy to design your trip as you wish!